How to make your new home healthier—and smell great—using 8 essential oils
The use of essential oils and its many benefits have always been around, especially in Southeast Asia, but are more popular now than ever. Beyond spas and hotels, more and more homeowners use them in their own personal spaces, harnessing the full power of aromatherapy. A lot swear by how it helps them fall asleep or relax when they’re anxious, or even help ward off mosquitoes and other insects, while some even claim it helps perk them up throughout the day.
Not only will essential oils help your homes smell great, they’ll be a lot healthier as well. They’re a great addition to your new home, allowing you to literally start fresh. Most essential oils sold commercially are great for use in one’s home fragrance diffuser or burner. Invest in a sturdy, beautifully designed one if you haven’t yet.
If you’re only starting to experiment with essential oils, here are the eight types you can start with that boast of therapeutic benefits and amazing scents:
1. Lavender essential oil, reportedly the most used oil in the world today, has a fresh, floral, clean, and calming scent. It is known to reduce anxiety and emotional stress and improve sleep.
To use: Put one (1) drop of lavender oil and one (1) to two (2) drops of lemongrass oil in 100mL water and use this concoction as a natural deodorizer mist for your home.
2. Lemongrass. This fresh, citrusy, and crisp scented oil is a natural room deodorizer. Its cleansing scent washes over anxiety and can help you relax. Lemongrass is also known as a natural mosquito and flea repellant.
To use: Add five (5) drops of lemongrass oil to 200mL water to create a spray you can use on yourself or even your pet’s coat.
3. Peppermint essential oil gives a cooling, refreshing sensation. It’s also known to improve mental focus and boost energy.
To use: Combine peppermint and eucalyptus oils (one drop each) with lemon and 100mL water to create an effective cleaning and cooling spray for your home.
4. Eucalyptus oil helps stimulate immunity and is a good source of antioxidants. It’s also used to help improve breathing. The combination of eucalyptus and peppermint can even soothe a cold fast. Eucalyptus, along with lavender and lemongrass, also acts as a natural repellent for common mosquitos.
5. Patchouli essential oil has a very rich and earthy aroma that has a grounding and balancing effect on emotions. It’s known as an antidepressant and can lift moods. This oil also acts as a natural repellant to certain small insects.
To use: Mix one (1) drop each of eucalyptus, peppermint, and patchouli oils with at least five (5) drops of water on your diffuser to create a bold scent that leaves your environment cool and fresh.
6. Tea Tree essential oil is widely used for its antiseptic and antimicrobial properties. It’s used to protect against bacteria and, in some cases, help clean and rejuvenate the skin.
To use: Mix 1-2 drops tea tree oil with vinegar, lemon essential oil, and 100mL water in a spray bottle, then use this to clean countertops, kitchen appliances, sinks, and your shower and toilet.
7. Grapefruit essential oil reportedly helps improve metabolism and boost one’s energy. This citrus plant also helps lift mood, as well as reduce mental and—to some degree—physical fatigue.
To use: Combine one (1) drop each of grapefruit, lemongrass, and peppermint oils with at least five (5) drops of water on your diffuser to create a scent that’s guaranteed to perk you up.
8. Rosemary has been known to help with mental expansion, clarity, and meditation. This woody, herbal scent is known to help reduce nervous tension and fatigue.
You can mix and match these essential oils for different purposes and to create new scents until, who knows, you just might discover your signature home scent. Here’s a handy guide for proportions (note that drops may vary depending on the oil):
Burners: 1-2 drops of oil with 4-5 drops of water
Spray: 2 drops of oil for every 100mL water
Air Purifier: 10 drops for every 1L
The combinations are endless as you reap all the benefits from various oils. It’s one of the best things you can ever get for your new home.